Bites: Punters take a chance and eating al fresco
Sunday 12 July 2009
Is it tempting fate to sit outdoors at a restaurant? Given last week's combination of blazing sun followed five minutes later by torrential rain, it might be unwise. But ever since the terrace at London's Scott's became the place to be seen, punters are taking a chance and eating al fresco.
We're hedging our bets with a table on the terrace at Quo Vadis (www.quovadissoho.co.uk), the Soho stalwart wonderfully revamped by the Hart brothers of Fino and Barrafina fame. Under a monochrome awning, diners choose from a fabulous all-day menu or robust sharing plates (such as pork board – more scrumptious than it sounds – and seafood platter). And it would be a shame not to wash it down with the Quo Vadis Aperitivo of fresh clementine and lemon juice, Campari and Cava.
But what about those days when the sun is strong but the wallet is weak? We're partial to the crayfish and smoked-salmon salad from Pret: the tables outside have a certain charm, if you wear shades to avoid the stainless-steel glare...
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...