Wines of the week: La Miranda de Secastilla 2008; Journey's End Haystack Chardonnay 2010; Alexaume, Domaine des Crès Ricards 2009
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 09 October 2011
La Miranda de Secastilla 2008
Made from 90-year-old Garnarcha vines, but in an ultra-modern winery in the foothills of the Pyrenees in the emerging Somontano wine region. A wonderfully well-structured wine, with aromas of leather and vanilla, intense fruit flavours of blackberries and cherries and hints of spice nicely matched with a really fresh acidity. A lovely, enticing autumn drink that is perfect for any game or perhaps a roast duck. £10.29, ocado.com; £11.25, ampsfinewines.co.uk
Journey's End Haystack Chardonnay 2010
More restrained than an over-oaked Aussie Chardonnay, this award-winning Stellenbosch wine nevertheless has big buttery flavours, with lots of ripe tropical fruit and an overriding freshness on the palate that reins it all in. Makes a great partner to most robustly flavoured fish dishes, but particularly wild salmon with citrus sauces or a grilled mackerel. £9.95, tanners-wines.co.uk; £10.99, sawinesonline.co.uk
Alexaume, Domaine des Crès Ricards 2009
Almost wild, herby, spicy, peppery flavours of the southern French Garrigue in this new offering from the extremely reliable Paul Mas stable of wines. A typical blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignan and Syrah, produces complexity, longevity and enough fruit for easy drinkability at this excellent introductory price. £7.99 (reduced from £9.99 until end of October), majestic.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...