Wines of the week: La Miranda de Secastilla 2008; Journey's End Haystack Chardonnay 2010; Alexaume, Domaine des Crès Ricards 2009
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 09 October 2011
La Miranda de Secastilla 2008
Made from 90-year-old Garnarcha vines, but in an ultra-modern winery in the foothills of the Pyrenees in the emerging Somontano wine region. A wonderfully well-structured wine, with aromas of leather and vanilla, intense fruit flavours of blackberries and cherries and hints of spice nicely matched with a really fresh acidity. A lovely, enticing autumn drink that is perfect for any game or perhaps a roast duck. £10.29, ocado.com; £11.25, ampsfinewines.co.uk
Journey's End Haystack Chardonnay 2010
More restrained than an over-oaked Aussie Chardonnay, this award-winning Stellenbosch wine nevertheless has big buttery flavours, with lots of ripe tropical fruit and an overriding freshness on the palate that reins it all in. Makes a great partner to most robustly flavoured fish dishes, but particularly wild salmon with citrus sauces or a grilled mackerel. £9.95, tanners-wines.co.uk; £10.99, sawinesonline.co.uk
Alexaume, Domaine des Crès Ricards 2009
Almost wild, herby, spicy, peppery flavours of the southern French Garrigue in this new offering from the extremely reliable Paul Mas stable of wines. A typical blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignan and Syrah, produces complexity, longevity and enough fruit for easy drinkability at this excellent introductory price. £7.99 (reduced from £9.99 until end of October), majestic.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...