Best crop of strawberries in 20 years
Monday 09 May 2011
The spring heatwave has led to the biggest and best English strawberry crop for 20 years.
One major supermarket chain has cut its foreign imports of strawberries by 50 per cent thanks to the glut of home-grown fruit.
R&V Emery, one of England's largest strawberry growers, said it was the earliest start to the season for about 20 years. The season started two weeks early and higher sugar levels have made the crop much sweeter and juicier than normal.
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Livr: A social network only for drunk people
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
International Women's Day 2014: Animated Google Doodle shows 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...