Don't waste bread: Clean an oil painting with it
Thursday 10 January 2013
Half of the world's food is wasted and bread is high on the list, with 32 per cent ending up in the bin. Just because it's stale doesn't mean it's inedible. Aside from the obvious breadcrumbs and croutons, try making Tuscan bread soup or bruschetta. Or else...
* Bread can be handy for tricky cleaning tasks. Dust oil paintings with a slice and use the crusts to clean the slats on blinds.
* White bread can remove dirty fingerprints from painted walls and wallpaper.
* Hold a slice between your teeth when chopping onions to stop your eyes watering.
* Make modelling clay by mixing breadcrumbs with PVA glue.
* Remove a corn or callus by taping on a piece of vinegar-soaked bread overnight.
Or you could just feed the ducks.
Life & Style blogs
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
Alien: Isolation preview - If you scream in space, it makes a sound
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
How much independence should children have?
- 1 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...