New 'ethical ratings' for restaurants
Sunday 28 April 2013
One of the world's top chefs is calling on restaurants to sign up to the first international eco-rating designed to make it easier for foodies to eat with a clear conscience.
A new global rating system for restaurants is being launched today by the Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA). Its "Global Sustainability Rating" means diners around the world will know how food has been sourced, how the restaurant conserves its energy, waste and water, and even how it treats its staff.
Raymond Blanc, who runs Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons restaurant in Oxfordshire and is the SRA president, said: "This is the birth of an international common language of restaurant sustainability. The world's best chefs have a duty to operate responsibly and I would urge more of my fellow chefs around the world to take the test."
Some of the best restaurants in the world have already been assessed under the new system, to decide the winner of the Sustainable Restaurant Award, being presented for the first time at The San Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants today.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Engineer pictured fixing plane's engine with 'duct tape' by concerned EasyJet passenger
- 2 Two-year-old says goodbye to bin man best friend
- 3 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Remove smartphones from the hands of under-18s and maybe they will grow up to be less dumb
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...