Olive oil price hits the skids
The struggling economies of Southern Europe could face another blow in the coming months as the price of a key export – olive oil – is set to hit a 10-year low.
Spain, Italy and Greece are the largest producers of the Mediterranean staple, accounting for 70 per cent of the world's olive oil output. IMF figures show that this month, premium extra-virgin olive oil fell to £1,850 a ton, the lowest price since 2002, and almost half the 2005 price.
The dramatic drop in price was caused by a bumper crop this year in Spain. The price drop has been accompanied by a dip in consumption in Italy and Greece, as consumers choose cheaper varieties such as vegetable oil.
Life & Style blogs
Penis size study: what's 'normal' anyway?
This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin: How I outwitted the Gestapo
Drinking three to five cups of a coffee a day could reduce risk of heart attacks, study finds
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced Hotel Receptionists...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...