Olive oil price hits the skids
The struggling economies of Southern Europe could face another blow in the coming months as the price of a key export – olive oil – is set to hit a 10-year low.
Spain, Italy and Greece are the largest producers of the Mediterranean staple, accounting for 70 per cent of the world's olive oil output. IMF figures show that this month, premium extra-virgin olive oil fell to £1,850 a ton, the lowest price since 2002, and almost half the 2005 price.
The dramatic drop in price was caused by a bumper crop this year in Spain. The price drop has been accompanied by a dip in consumption in Italy and Greece, as consumers choose cheaper varieties such as vegetable oil.
Life & Style blogs
Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
How dementia is changing me: My battle with an ever-shifting identity
The 10 Best kitchen knives
It’s a pizza! And a cake!! What’s not to like? (The calories)
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...