Olive oil price hits the skids
The struggling economies of Southern Europe could face another blow in the coming months as the price of a key export – olive oil – is set to hit a 10-year low.
Spain, Italy and Greece are the largest producers of the Mediterranean staple, accounting for 70 per cent of the world's olive oil output. IMF figures show that this month, premium extra-virgin olive oil fell to £1,850 a ton, the lowest price since 2002, and almost half the 2005 price.
The dramatic drop in price was caused by a bumper crop this year in Spain. The price drop has been accompanied by a dip in consumption in Italy and Greece, as consumers choose cheaper varieties such as vegetable oil.
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Food & Drink
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...