Real ale enters a golden age, with 800 breweries in UK
Tuesday 02 August 2011
The number of drinkers trying real ale for the first time has increased by 40 per cent in the past few years, while 200 new breweries have opened, a study showed today.
The Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) said there were now over 800 breweries in the UK, reflecting a "surge" of interest in real ale. Camra said the number of breweries in London had doubled since 2006 to 14, with another five being developed.
Colin Valentine, chairman of Camra, said: "It's strange to think that, at the turn of the 21st century, the real ale market was in decline. Yet, in the present day, real ale brewing is recognised as one of the most vibrant areas of the small-business sector, and we now enjoy more brewers than at any time since the end of the Second World War.
"A new era of discerning consumers are demanding locally produced quality products that represent good value for money."
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...