Real ale enters a golden age, with 800 breweries in UK
Tuesday 02 August 2011
The number of drinkers trying real ale for the first time has increased by 40 per cent in the past few years, while 200 new breweries have opened, a study showed today.
The Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) said there were now over 800 breweries in the UK, reflecting a "surge" of interest in real ale. Camra said the number of breweries in London had doubled since 2006 to 14, with another five being developed.
Colin Valentine, chairman of Camra, said: "It's strange to think that, at the turn of the 21st century, the real ale market was in decline. Yet, in the present day, real ale brewing is recognised as one of the most vibrant areas of the small-business sector, and we now enjoy more brewers than at any time since the end of the Second World War.
"A new era of discerning consumers are demanding locally produced quality products that represent good value for money."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...