Real ale enters a golden age, with 800 breweries in UK
Tuesday 02 August 2011
The number of drinkers trying real ale for the first time has increased by 40 per cent in the past few years, while 200 new breweries have opened, a study showed today.
The Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) said there were now over 800 breweries in the UK, reflecting a "surge" of interest in real ale. Camra said the number of breweries in London had doubled since 2006 to 14, with another five being developed.
Colin Valentine, chairman of Camra, said: "It's strange to think that, at the turn of the 21st century, the real ale market was in decline. Yet, in the present day, real ale brewing is recognised as one of the most vibrant areas of the small-business sector, and we now enjoy more brewers than at any time since the end of the Second World War.
"A new era of discerning consumers are demanding locally produced quality products that represent good value for money."
Life & Style blogs
Reader dilemma: 'Our son is 34 with an IQ of 85, and spends all his time in his room. What will happen to him when we're no longer here?'
Why it matters 26 million people have changed their Facebook profile picture to a rainbow flag
What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
The age of inactivity: How laziness is killing us
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Russian officials ban yoga because it's too much like a religious cult
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Ginger Pride festival to take place next summer, organisers say 'time of bullying gingers is over'
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
iJobs Food & Drink
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...
£39,000: ICE ICT: Specific and detailed knowledge and experience of travel sys...