Tesco meatloaf is latest dish to be pulled up in horse meat scandal
Tesco has withdrawn its frozen Simply Roast Meatloaf after finding traces of up to 5 per cent horse meat in it, the company said last night.
A spokesman said the company had pulled from its shelves Tesco Simply Roast Meatloaf 600g packs made between October 2012 and January 2013 at Eurostock in Craigavon, Northern Ireland. The company said it was investigating the claims before deciding whether to continue with the supplier.
Tests on 15 other product lines from the same manufacturing site were clear of horse meat, Tim Smith, Tesco's technical director, said.
It is the latest development in the horse meat scandal which erupted in January after testing in Ireland revealed that some beef products also contained equine DNA.
Separately, the company is plotting a move into family dining by buying the Giraffe restaurant chain for up to £50m, it was reported last night. The move is thought to aimed at revitalising the supermarket operator's British business.
The Times reported that the planned purchase of the brand's 47 restaurants, believed to be scheduled imminently, was designed to shore up its UK performance and attract new audiences. Last night a spokeswoman for Tesco declined to comment on the claims.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...