Recipe: The last of the big reds
Saturday 29 August 1992
Green Tomato Jam
Ingredients: 6lb/2.75kg green tomatoes
juice and rind of 2 lemons
Preparation: Peel and cut up tomatoes. Boil for an hour with lemon (or a little ginger if liked). Add 3lb sugar and boil for another hour (or two).
Here is another mother's-own recipe, from Mrs Josephine Shakarian of Sheffield, for green tomato chutney. Both she and Mrs Petter will receive copies of Anna del Conte's Entertaining all'Italiana.
Green Tomato Chutney
Ingredients: 4lb/1.8kg green tomatoes
2oz/60g crushed mustard seed
3-4 large chillies
3oz/85g root ginger
1lb/450g dried apricots
2lb/900g demerara sugar
2lb/900g cored and peeled apples
4 pints vinegar (cider is good)
Preparation: Peel and slice tomatoes. Chop apples. Mince chillies (de-seed to mute heat if you wish). Mince garlic. Peel and chop ginger. Chop apricots. Boil together with remaining ingredients until it has good colour and consistency. Decant to warm sterilised jars and cover.
Next week, the last of tomatoes. New recipes, stating the source, are welcome for the following category: mushrooms. The prize will be two bottles of Shaw & Smith 1991 Sauvignon Blanc from Winecellars, London SW18.
Life & Style blogs
Miley Cyrus' VMA outfits spark copying controversy
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 President Obama comments on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...