Anchoïade is a sweet, salty, pounded paste from the South of France that is best eaten simply on toast. Use a pestle and mortar if you can – it gives a much more interesting, less homogenised flavour than the purée achieved in a Magimix.
Sunday 20 January 2008
5 salted anchovies
15 blanched almonds (warmed gently in the oven for a couple of minutes to tickle out their flavour)
4 dried white figs, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
The juice of one blood orange
1tbsp of chopped lemon thyme (or rosemary)
60ml/21/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
A good pinch of sea salt
Rinse the anchovies and pat dry. Place in the pestle and mortar along with the almonds, figs and garlic. Pound until you have a rough paste – some bigger pieces and some almost puréed.
Add the blood orange juice, the lemon thyme and the olive oil. Stir well to combine. Taste and add as much salt as you think is needed.
Serve on toast with chopped hard-boiled eggs and unsalted butter.
Life & Style blogs
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Condom couture: Latex dresses hit the catwalk to raise awareness for HIV and Aids
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...