Anchoïade is a sweet, salty, pounded paste from the South of France that is best eaten simply on toast. Use a pestle and mortar if you can – it gives a much more interesting, less homogenised flavour than the purée achieved in a Magimix.
Sunday 20 January 2008
5 salted anchovies
15 blanched almonds (warmed gently in the oven for a couple of minutes to tickle out their flavour)
4 dried white figs, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
The juice of one blood orange
1tbsp of chopped lemon thyme (or rosemary)
60ml/21/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
A good pinch of sea salt
Rinse the anchovies and pat dry. Place in the pestle and mortar along with the almonds, figs and garlic. Pound until you have a rough paste – some bigger pieces and some almost puréed.
Add the blood orange juice, the lemon thyme and the olive oil. Stir well to combine. Taste and add as much salt as you think is needed.
Serve on toast with chopped hard-boiled eggs and unsalted butter.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...