Sunday 20 March 2011
I think you may be as surprised as I was by the amount of salt Sri Lankans use in their cooking. The type of salt used is a fine sea salt that is damp to the touch – if you dip your finger into its flavour, it is intense but not overpowering. The sauce that is spooned over the fish is known as a gravy.
6 x 250g/8oz firm white fish, such as sea bass
300ml/10fl oz coconut milk
6 cloves of garlic
12 curry leaves
5 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 thumb of ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tsp turmeric
tsp coriander seeds, roasted and pounded
5 cardamom pods
The juice of one lime
A good pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Lay the fish in a baking tray and pour over the coconut milk. Scatter over all the other ingredients and finish with the pinch of salt. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove and serve with the coconut sambal alongside.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Dennis Rodman will coach the North Korea basketball team - and is preparing a special birthday treat for 'friend for life' Kim Jong-un
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: D...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: FCm Travel Solutions: FCm ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K base & uncapped commission & benefits: Flight...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: We would very much like to hear from applicant...