Sunday 27 June 2010
This vivid purée is a staple in our mezze plate. Its zing allows it to stand proudly on its own, too, so it's worth making extra. I love it simply spread on toast, and with griddled scallops. If you buy ready-cooked beetroot, make sure it is plainly cooked, not boiled in vinegar.
11/2kg/3lb cooked beetroot, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large red chilli
Bunch of coriander, washed
1/2 bunch of mint, leaves only
1 tbsp grated fresh horseradish
1 tbsp roasted spice mix
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, or to taste
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
125ml thick Greek-style yoghurt
Place the beetroot in a blender with the garlic and chilli. Chop the coriander roots and stems and add to the blender with the mint, horseradish, spice mix, balsamic and oil. Blend really well to smooth purée.
Add the yoghurt and pulse quickly, once or twice. Taste for seasoning – it will need salt to bring all the flavours together. You may also need a few more drops of balsamic vinegar – it needs a sharp edge.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
David Beckham fronts the campaign for his underwear autumn/winter collection, which hit stores today
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...