Sunday 27 June 2010
This vivid purée is a staple in our mezze plate. Its zing allows it to stand proudly on its own, too, so it's worth making extra. I love it simply spread on toast, and with griddled scallops. If you buy ready-cooked beetroot, make sure it is plainly cooked, not boiled in vinegar.
11/2kg/3lb cooked beetroot, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large red chilli
Bunch of coriander, washed
1/2 bunch of mint, leaves only
1 tbsp grated fresh horseradish
1 tbsp roasted spice mix
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, or to taste
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
125ml thick Greek-style yoghurt
Place the beetroot in a blender with the garlic and chilli. Chop the coriander roots and stems and add to the blender with the mint, horseradish, spice mix, balsamic and oil. Blend really well to smooth purée.
Add the yoghurt and pulse quickly, once or twice. Taste for seasoning – it will need salt to bring all the flavours together. You may also need a few more drops of balsamic vinegar – it needs a sharp edge.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 British tourists 'murdered' in Thailand: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Vivienne Westwood says 'Yes' to Scottish Independence by declaring: 'I hate England'
- 3 Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment
- 4 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
iJobs Food & Drink
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...