Bergamot and cedro marmalade
Sunday 07 February 2010
You can make marmalade from almost any citrus fruit. One of our suppliers gave us a bag of bergamots – a citrus somewhere between an orange and a lemon, deep orange in colour with a distinct smell. Cedro is used in Italy to make the lovely candied peel found in panettone – its skin and pith are thick and creamy. You can alternatively use unwaxed Amalfi lemons, which are much easier to find. The resulting marmalade is pale in colour.
Several bergamots and cedros
A little salt
Slice the fruit into pinwheels, removing any pith. Boil a large pot of water, add the fruit and cook for five minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the water.
Weigh the fruit and to each 250g/8oz, add equal amounts of caster sugar, a small pinch of salt and 300ml/10fl oz of water. Place over a high heat and bring to a boil.
Stir to help dissolve the sugar and turn down the heat to medium. Cook for 35-40 minutes until the setting stage. For how to tell if it is set, see recipe to left.
Spoon into warm sterilised jars, allow to cool and set aside in a cool, dark place for at least a week before using.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...