Carrot and cumin salad
I love serving this salad either as a stand-alone salad for a mezze-type buffet or with meat or fish like red mullet.
6-7 medium carrots, topped and peeled
The juice of 1 orange
Enough vegetable stock to cover (a good stock cube will do)
3tsp cumin seeds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4tbsp olive oil
The juice of 1 lemon
4tbsp chopped coriander
Slice the carrots on the angle as thinly as you can. Place them in a saucepan with the orange juice and enough vegetable stock to cover them. Add the cumin seeds and a teaspoon of salt.
Bring to the boil and simmer on a medium heat with a lid on for about 8-10 minutes until cooked, then drain in a colander over a bowl to catch the liquid. Return the liquid to the pan and simmer until you have 3-4 tablespoons then leave to cool a little.
Put the carrots in a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice and coriander and add enough of the reduced cooking liquid to moisten them and re-season if necessary.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...