Celery and blue cheese soup
1 small head of celery, stalk removed and leaves reserved
1 medium leek, roughly chopped and washed
1tbsp vegetable or corn oil
½tbsp plain flour
2ltrs vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g soft blue cheese mixed with a couple of tablespoons of single cream
Reserve about 2 or 3 of the centre stems of celery and cut them into ½cm dice. Blanch for 2-3 minutes in lightly salted water until tender, then drain.
Meanwhile, roughly chop the rest of the celery, also reserving the leaves. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan; gently cook the leeks and celery for 3-4 minutes with a lid on until they soften.
Stir in the flour, then gradually add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Season and simmer gently for 30 minutes, add the leaves, remove from the heat and blend in a liquidiser until smooth.
Strain through a sieve and leave to cool, then chill in the refrigerator.
To serve, re-season to taste and stir in the diced celery. Pour into soup bowls and spoon blobs of the blue cheese into the soup.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...