Duck liver pâté
Saturday 01 January 2011
This is a quick spreadable pâté that can be knocked up in no time with either duck or chicken livers. It will keep well in the fridge for a few days and is one of those snacks that is hard to resist late at night.
250g duck livers, cleaned
3 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
100ml red wine
100ml medium sherry
Season the livers, heat a couple of knobs of butter in a large frying pan and fry the livers for 3-4 minutes, turning them as they are cooking and keeping them pink.
Transfer the livers to a plate, add another knob of butter to the pan and gently cook the shallots and garlic for a couple of minutes; then add the alcohol and simmer until it has reduced to about a tablespoon.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rest of the butter. Mix with the livers and blend in a food processor until smooth. Season again if necessary and store in the fridge.
If you want to serve for a dinner party, you can put the pâté in individual dishes and pour a little melted butter over the top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...