Fried eggs with cima di rapa
Sunday 18 January 2009
Sometimes I can think of nothing nicer than a simple supper of eggs. Choose beautifully fresh, English, organic, free-range ones, and they will make a light and tasty meal – great if you are not really hungry but want a little something to make you feel content. I often make this dish on Sunday evenings before an early night, when I want to eat something really good but have overindulged during the day.
1/2 red chilli, seeds removed andfinely chopped
A squeeze of lemon juice
1 bunch of cima di rapa, or any dark, leafy, green winter vegetable
100ml/31/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
Place the chopped chilli in a bowl and add the lemon juice, a pinch of salt and the oil. Set aside while you cook the vegetables: place a pot of well-salted water on to boil and clean the cima, removing the stalks and any blemishes.
Once the water has boiled, cook the cima for five minutes. While the cima is boiling, place a non-stick frying pan, large enough to hold the eggs, over a medium heat.
Add the butter and, when it begins to foam, crack in the eggs. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt and cook without turning until the white begins to set. Using a teaspoon, baste the eggs with the butter until the white is set but the yolk is still runny.
Divide the cima between two plates, place the eggs on top and spoon over a little of the chilli, oil and lemon mixture and perhaps a little pinch of salt.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...