Sunday 26 June 2011
A summery soup for those sultry days, this is punchy, sharp and exciting to eat, an explosion of sunshine in your mouth; I prefer it textured rather than smooth. This soup needs to be served well chilled.
100g/3 oz toasted almonds
1 fresh red chilli, sliced lengthways, seeds removed
1 red onion, sliced
2 red peppers
4 small cucumbers, skin left on and chopped
1kg/2lb tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
A good pinch of sea salt
100ml/3 fl oz olive oil
200ml/7fl oz tomato juice
Generous handfuls of basil and mint leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Put the almonds, chilli, red onion, garlic, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes and sherry vinegar into a blender and pulse.
Add sea salt, which turns up the volume of the flavours, and some olive oil.
Add half the tomato juice to loosen the gazpacho and blend, then add liberal amounts of basil and mint, more tomato juice and pulse one more time.
Purée until it's still textural and chunky. Serve chilled.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...