Sunday 26 June 2011
A summery soup for those sultry days, this is punchy, sharp and exciting to eat, an explosion of sunshine in your mouth; I prefer it textured rather than smooth. This soup needs to be served well chilled.
100g/3 oz toasted almonds
1 fresh red chilli, sliced lengthways, seeds removed
1 red onion, sliced
2 red peppers
4 small cucumbers, skin left on and chopped
1kg/2lb tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
A good pinch of sea salt
100ml/3 fl oz olive oil
200ml/7fl oz tomato juice
Generous handfuls of basil and mint leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Put the almonds, chilli, red onion, garlic, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes and sherry vinegar into a blender and pulse.
Add sea salt, which turns up the volume of the flavours, and some olive oil.
Add half the tomato juice to loosen the gazpacho and blend, then add liberal amounts of basil and mint, more tomato juice and pulse one more time.
Purée until it's still textural and chunky. Serve chilled.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...