Gnocchi with tomatoes and basil
Gnocchi is a kind of pasta for potato-lovers and pretty straightforward to knock up at home – just make sure that you buy nice floury potatoes, otherwise you will end up with a bowl of glue.
100ml olive oil
300-350g cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
A few sprigs of basil or Greek basil
For the gnocchi
600-700g large floury potatoes, cooked in their skins, peeled and mashed
40g grated parmesan
1 medium egg
1 medium egg yolk
125g potato flour
1tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
A good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
60g butter to serve
Grated parmesan or pecorino to serve
First make the gnocchi. Gently mix all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Scoop into rough balls about the size of a 10 pence piece with a teaspoon, then with a fork flatten them slightly, and roll them into a rough tubular shape; leave to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes on a low heat until the tomatoes are just starting to fall apart; season and put to one side.
Bring a large pan of boiling, salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi for 3 minutes, then carefully drain and toss in the butter. To serve, spoon the tomatoes on warmed serving dishes or bowls, arrange the gnocchi on top and scatter over the basil. Serve with the parmesan.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...