Gratin of endive and roasted cardoon
Sunday 10 February 2008
This gratin is easy to make once the cardoons have been roasted. It's perfect by itself but also delicious with fillet of beef.
2 Belgium endives
250g/8oz roasted cardoons
200ml/7fl oz crème fraîche or double cream
1tbsp Dijon mustard
1 small bunch of thyme, leaves only
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g/5oz soft white breadcrumbs
80g/3oz freshly grated Parmesan
50g/2oz unsalted butter
Parsley, finely chopped to serve
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4.
Slice the endives in half lengthwise and then each half into three. Arrange the sliced endives and roasted cardoon in a buttered earthenware gratin dish. Place the crème fraîche, mustard and thyme in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for six to seven minutes to slightly reduce, thicken and flavour the cream. Remove from the heat and pour over the vegetables. Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl and scatter over the top. Melt the butter and pour it over, then bake in the oven until golden and bubbling. Serve garnished with finely chopped parsley.
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The brothel buster: Meet the man who gets paid to have sex with prostitutes
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...