Hog's pudding and sweetbreads on toast
Saturday 19 January 2008
Hog's pudding is one of those very local things; in fact I think I've only come across it a couple of times in London. Philip Warren in Launceston (www.philipwarrenbutchers.co.uk; 01566 772089) produce a good hog's pudding and theirs was the exact one I had at the St Moritz. It's produced in both Devon and Cornwall and generally made from pork, suet, oatmeal and sometimes with offal blended in. At the risk of sounding sexist, this is a bit of a man's dish and could easily be served as a lunch or tea-time snack.
150-180g hog's pudding, cut into rough 11/2-cm chunks
150-180g lambs' sweetbreads, trimmed of fat and washed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of bread
Blanch the sweetbreads in simmering, lightly salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and cut into even-sized pieces. Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan, season the sweetbreads and fry them, along with the hog's pudding on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until golden. Meanwhile toast the bread on both sides and serve the hog's pudding and sweetbreads spooned on top.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...