Lamb's kidneys with parsnips
6 small parsnips, topped and tailed
8 lamb's kidneys
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
A little rapeseed or groundnut oil for frying
1tbsp red wine vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
A couple of knobs of butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the parsnips in salted water for 8-10 minutes or until tender, then drain and return to the pan with a lid to keep hot. Heat a heavy frying pan lightly brushed with oil and cook the kidneys whole on a medium to high heat for 4-5 minutes, keeping them nice and pink.
Remove the kidneys and transfer them to a plate. Add the shallots, vinegar and mustard to the pan and simmer for 20 seconds.
Cut the kidneys into thin slices and add to the pan with the butter and gently reheat for 10 seconds or so.
To serve, cut the parsnips in half lengthways, or quarters if large, and lay on warmed serving plates; then spoon the kidneys and sauce on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Engineer pictured fixing plane's engine with 'duct tape' by concerned EasyJet passenger
- 2 Two-year-old says goodbye to bin man best friend
- 3 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Remove smartphones from the hands of under-18s and maybe they will grow up to be less dumb
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...