Lamb's kidneys with parsnips
6 small parsnips, topped and tailed
8 lamb's kidneys
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
A little rapeseed or groundnut oil for frying
1tbsp red wine vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
A couple of knobs of butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the parsnips in salted water for 8-10 minutes or until tender, then drain and return to the pan with a lid to keep hot. Heat a heavy frying pan lightly brushed with oil and cook the kidneys whole on a medium to high heat for 4-5 minutes, keeping them nice and pink.
Remove the kidneys and transfer them to a plate. Add the shallots, vinegar and mustard to the pan and simmer for 20 seconds.
Cut the kidneys into thin slices and add to the pan with the butter and gently reheat for 10 seconds or so.
To serve, cut the parsnips in half lengthways, or quarters if large, and lay on warmed serving plates; then spoon the kidneys and sauce on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...