Lamb's kidneys with parsnips
6 small parsnips, topped and tailed
8 lamb's kidneys
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
A little rapeseed or groundnut oil for frying
1tbsp red wine vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
A couple of knobs of butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the parsnips in salted water for 8-10 minutes or until tender, then drain and return to the pan with a lid to keep hot. Heat a heavy frying pan lightly brushed with oil and cook the kidneys whole on a medium to high heat for 4-5 minutes, keeping them nice and pink.
Remove the kidneys and transfer them to a plate. Add the shallots, vinegar and mustard to the pan and simmer for 20 seconds.
Cut the kidneys into thin slices and add to the pan with the butter and gently reheat for 10 seconds or so.
To serve, cut the parsnips in half lengthways, or quarters if large, and lay on warmed serving plates; then spoon the kidneys and sauce on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 British tourists 'murdered' in Thailand: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Vivienne Westwood says 'Yes' to Scottish Independence by declaring: 'I hate England'
- 3 Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment
- 4 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
iJobs Food & Drink
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...