Mackerel ceviche salad with samphire
Saturday 15 August 2009
As I said earlier, mackerel is one of my favourite fish to eat raw. It has to be really fresh, of course, and it has to have that delicious, slightly oily texture with a full-on flavour. You can adapt this recipe to suit you taste by adding more or less chilli and vary the herbs and lemon, or lime quantity.
4 large or 8 small mackerel fillets, skinned and boned
The juice of 1 lime or half a lemon
1tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
1 small green or red chilli, finely chopped
tbsp finely chopped chives
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g samphire, lightly steamed
A small handful of very small salad and herb leaves (such as rocket, land cress, coriander, greek basil, etc), washed and dried
Cut the mackerel into rough cm dice. Mix with the lime juice, rapeseed oil, chilli and chives, season and leave to stand for 5 minutes giving it an occasional stir. Spoon the mackerel on to serving plates, scatter over the leaves and samphire, and spoon more of the dressing over if necessary.
Life & Style blogs
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...