Mark Hix recipe: Haggis and bashed neeps
I've always been flummoxed by the neep: it confuses the hell out of me how the Scots tend to refer to the swede as a turnip and actually refer to turnips as white turnips, not the yellow ones (swedes) – you could excuse me for sometimes getting a little muddled.
Anyway, rather than confusing you, neeps are made with what we know as swedes and in this recipe they are bashed, which means coarsely mashed. Got it?
1 small haggis weighing about 400-500g
4 good shots of your favourite Scotch whisky (optional)
For the bashed neeps
500g swedes, peeled and roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put your haggis in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the bashed neeps, cover the swede with water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until they are soft enough to mash. Drain in a colander, then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary, and stir in the butter.
To serve, remove the outer skin from the haggis, spoon the neeps into the centre of warmed plates, place a spoonful of haggis on top and pour a little whisky over.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...