Mark Hix recipe: Haggis and bashed neeps
I've always been flummoxed by the neep: it confuses the hell out of me how the Scots tend to refer to the swede as a turnip and actually refer to turnips as white turnips, not the yellow ones (swedes) – you could excuse me for sometimes getting a little muddled.
Anyway, rather than confusing you, neeps are made with what we know as swedes and in this recipe they are bashed, which means coarsely mashed. Got it?
1 small haggis weighing about 400-500g
4 good shots of your favourite Scotch whisky (optional)
For the bashed neeps
500g swedes, peeled and roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put your haggis in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the bashed neeps, cover the swede with water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until they are soft enough to mash. Drain in a colander, then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary, and stir in the butter.
To serve, remove the outer skin from the haggis, spoon the neeps into the centre of warmed plates, place a spoonful of haggis on top and pour a little whisky over.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
iJobs Food & Drink
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...