Mark Hix recipe: Haggis and bashed neeps
I've always been flummoxed by the neep: it confuses the hell out of me how the Scots tend to refer to the swede as a turnip and actually refer to turnips as white turnips, not the yellow ones (swedes) – you could excuse me for sometimes getting a little muddled.
Anyway, rather than confusing you, neeps are made with what we know as swedes and in this recipe they are bashed, which means coarsely mashed. Got it?
1 small haggis weighing about 400-500g
4 good shots of your favourite Scotch whisky (optional)
For the bashed neeps
500g swedes, peeled and roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put your haggis in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the bashed neeps, cover the swede with water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until they are soft enough to mash. Drain in a colander, then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary, and stir in the butter.
To serve, remove the outer skin from the haggis, spoon the neeps into the centre of warmed plates, place a spoonful of haggis on top and pour a little whisky over.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...