Medlars look like a cross between a small apple and a rosehip; there are still a few trees knocking around and you do see imported medlars in specialist shops. Jelly and jam is about as much as you can do with them but it's well worth the effort.
1kg medlars, roughly chopped, skins on
500ml apple juice
Approx 500g jam or preserving sugar
A couple of leaves of gelatine (6g)
Put the medlars, apple juice and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about an hour until the medlars are soft.
Tip into a sieve over a bowl or use a jam clot; leave overnight. Measure the juice and weigh the same amount of sugar.
Place in a heavy saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil rapidly until it has reduced by one third.
Spoon a little on to a plate and place in the fridge or freezer and test if it sets; if not, continue boiling until it does.
Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for a few minutes, squeeze out the water and dissolve in the medlar liquid.
Take some sterilised kilner jars and fill them with the hot liquid and seal them. You can store this in a cool place for up to 6 months.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...