Minted cucumber soup with fried halloumi
Over the years I've adapted my chilled cucumber soup recipes – I used to blend the cucumbers from raw, but now I favour slightly cooking them as I have done here, which tends to extract a little more flavour.
1 small leek, thinly sliced and washed
1tbsp olive oil
600ml vegetable stock
A small handful of mint leaves, washed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½tbsp olive oil
Cut a quarter off one of the cucumbers, halve it lengthways, scoop out and discard the seeds and finely dice the flesh; reserve for the garnish. Gently cook the leek in the olive oil, in a covered pan, for 2-3 minutes until soft.
Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then roughly chop the remaining cucumbers and mint, add to the stock and simmer for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
Blend in a liquidiser until very smooth. Strain through a medium-meshed sieve (a fine mesh will trap too many bits) into a bowl set over some iced water to cool it quickly and prevent discolouring. Season.
Cut the halloumi into 1cm dice and dry on some kitchen paper. Heat the olive oil – preferably in a non-stick pan – and fry the halloumi on a high heat until golden, then remove from the pan and drain on some kitchen paper. To serve, pour the soup into bowls, then scatter over the cucumber and halloumi.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...