Pickled red cabbage
Sunday 26 December 2010
Both sweet and sour, this is the perfect accompaniment to rich, creamy food.
1 red cabbage, outer leaves removed
1 knob of unsalted butter
1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 Cox's apples, cored, sliced into thin wedges
200ml/7fl oz apple juice
1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Slice the cabbage in half, and using a small, sharp knife, cut out the core. Now slice as finely as possible.
Place a large, heavy-based pan on top of the stove over a medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt but not brown.
Add the onion and cook until soft and transculent – this will take about 10 minutes. Now add the cabbage and apple and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring every so often until the cabbage has begun to wilt.
Add the apple juice and vinegar and place a lid on the pot and cook for half an hour, by which time the cabbage will be soft and mellowed in colour. Season generously with the salt and pepper and add the balsamic.
Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to use. The cabbage can be made a few hours prior to serving.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...