Pumpkin and coconut cake
Saturday 13 March 2010
We spent one evening at Baganara Island, a very peaceful and relaxing small resort with a fantastic colonial lodge and only a couple of handfuls of rooms. It's a great starting point for exploring the unspoilt Guyanan rainforests; and as we flew up in our small private plane to the Kaieteur Falls, the largest single-drop waterfall in the world, we relished this cake which the chef had packed on board for us.
350g butternut squash or yellow pumpkin flesh, grated
120g desiccated coconut
200g self-raising flour
150g Demerara sugar
4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
Butter for greasing
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Grease a 20cm x 15cm x 5-6cm deep baking tin and line with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
Combine the squash, coconut, self-raising flour, sugar and eggs together until well mixed, then spoon into the prepared baking tin. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until nicely coloured, then leave to cool a little and transfer to a cooling rack.
Serve with tea or as a pudding with thick cream or ice cream.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...