Puris with spinach and a poached egg
I always keep Indian puris in my freezer; you can buy them fresh or frozen from good Indian supermarkets and they are a great standby to serve with curries, as well as making a good base for this dish.
4 frozen puris
100g or so of butter or olive oil
4 spring onions, chopped
1 large green or red chilli, thinly sliced
300-400g spinach, cleaned
A few sprigs of coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
1tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs, lightly browned
A good pinch of chilli flakes
Half a tbsp of melted butter
Melt about half of the butter in a large, preferably non-stick frying pan and fry the puris on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden, then keep warm.
Melt the rest of the butter or oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the spring onion and chilli for 30 seconds, then add the spinach, season and cook on a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring as it's cooking until it has wilted; then stir in the coriander.
Meanwhile, poach the eggs. Spoon the spinach mixture on to each puri and place an egg on top. Mix together the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over each puri.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...