Quinoa with summer beans
Quinoa is a versatile pseudocereal seed, often mistaken for a grain. It serves as as a good replacement for couscous or rice. You can buy different coloured quinoa from good wholefood shops, which allows you to experiment a little.
It's only really been a larder staple of mine for a year or so, and I'm still a bit of a quinoa novice. But it's certainly a popular item on healthy menus lately.
80g quinoa, soaked in cold water for an hour
80g broad beans
10-12 green beans
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
4-5tbsp chopped parsley
4-5tbsp chopped mint
100ml olive or rapeseed oil
The juice of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the quinoa in simmering lightly salted water for about 20 minutes or until the seeds open up and are tender. Drain in a f sieve and leave to cool.
Meanwhile, cook the broad beans and peas by boiling in salted water for 2-3 minutes, then drained. You can remove the tough outer skins of the larger broad beans if you wish. The green beans should be boiled for 3-4 minutes then drained, trimmed and finely chopped.
Once the quinoa has cooled, mix it with the beans, chopped onions and all the other ingredients and season to taste.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 2 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 3 Ralkina Jones: 37-year-old black woman found dead in police custody
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: American dentist revealed as killer of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Drivers wanted for a family run...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful leisure company is seek...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The positions above are available either part ...
£25K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Fitness Centre Supervisor / Duty Manager ...