Rabbit brawn on toast
Saturday 27 December 2008
You can substitute leftover turkey legs or ham for the rabbit in this recipe if you wish.
1 pig's trotter, chopped into 4-5 pieces
1 onion, peeled and halved
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2tsp sea salt
The carcass and back and front legs from 2 rabbits
For the bouquet garni
1 bay leaf
A sprig of thyme
12 coriander seeds
12 white peppercorns
For the bouquet garni, tie the herbs and spices in a muslin square then make a bag, tying with string. Put into a large saucepan with the pig's trotter, onion, garlic and salt. Pour in enough water to cover the trotter; simmer for one hour, skimming off the scum from the surface. Add the rabbit to the pan and continue to simmer for another hour. The rabbit meat should be coming off the bone and the pig's trotter disintegrating. If not, continue simmering.
Tip into a colander over a bowl to save the liquor, then strain the liquid through a fine sieve back into the cleaned pan. Return to the heat and boil until it has reduced to about 200ml of sticky liquid. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Leave to cool, but not until set. Remove all of the meat from the rabbit bones and pig's trotter, including all the bits of gelatinous skin. Mix the pieces of meat with the liquid and transfer to a terrine mould, bowl or pie dish. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge. Leave to set overnight. Cut the rabbit brawn into thick slices; serve on toast.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
iJobs Food & Drink
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Accountant (Part-...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...