Shortbread biscuits with a hint of ginger
Makes 20 biscuits
Sunday 18 April 2010
These are delicate little biscuits that work well with the rhubarb. The dough freezes well, so use as much or as little as you like.
8oz/250g unsalted butter
4oz/125g caster sugar
11/2lb/750g plain flour
1 scant tsp powdered ginger
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Butter a large baking tray. Cream the butter until pale and smooth and gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift the flour with the powdered ginger and work in. Lightly knead for five minutes to form a dough – it should be smooth.
Divide the dough in half and roll each half into the shape of a fat sausage. Roll in parchment paper and chill in the fridge for half an hour. Slice into half-inch-thick rounds and lay evenly spaced on the baking tray, allowing enough room for each to spread slightly.
Bake on the middle shelf for five to eight minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The biscuits will still be slightly soft. Remove and cool on a wire rack; the biscuits will firm as they cool. Serve with the rhubarb and cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...