Shortbread biscuits with a hint of ginger
Makes 20 biscuits
Sunday 18 April 2010
These are delicate little biscuits that work well with the rhubarb. The dough freezes well, so use as much or as little as you like.
8oz/250g unsalted butter
4oz/125g caster sugar
11/2lb/750g plain flour
1 scant tsp powdered ginger
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Butter a large baking tray. Cream the butter until pale and smooth and gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift the flour with the powdered ginger and work in. Lightly knead for five minutes to form a dough – it should be smooth.
Divide the dough in half and roll each half into the shape of a fat sausage. Roll in parchment paper and chill in the fridge for half an hour. Slice into half-inch-thick rounds and lay evenly spaced on the baking tray, allowing enough room for each to spread slightly.
Bake on the middle shelf for five to eight minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The biscuits will still be slightly soft. Remove and cool on a wire rack; the biscuits will firm as they cool. Serve with the rhubarb and cream.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...