Slow-cooked spinach with chickpeas
Sunday 04 January 2009
I love this combination of chickpeas and spinach. It is sustaining and nourishing – and tastes distinctly healthy.
20ml/1fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g/1lb young spinach leaves, washed well in several changes of cold water
300g/10oz cooked chickpeas
3 tsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp cumin seeds
A good pinch of sea salt
100ml/31/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil to finish
Place the oil in a medium pan over a low heat, add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two, being careful not to let the garlic burn, as the bitter taste will permeate the whole of the dish.
Now add the spinach in several batches; as each batch wilts, add another. It should wilt down to about a third of its original volume.
Increase the heat slightly and add the chickpeas. Cook for five minutes, then add the sherry vinegar, paprika, cumin and a good pinch of salt.
Reduce the heat to low and add the 100ml of olive oil. Stir well and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Give it one last stir and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...