Tagliatelle with cavolo nero
Sunday 06 December 2009
Cavolo nero or black cabbage is one of my favourite winter vegetables – but it does need attention to flavouring, so as not to taste too monotonous. Here I have puréed half and seasoned it with anchovies, butter and Parmesan before folding it through long strips of cooked cabbage to create a wonderful green sauce that wraps itself seductively around the pasta.
1 bunch of cavolo nero
A good pinch of sea salt
40g/11/2oz unsalted butter
2 tbsp grassy flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
3 good-quality anchovies, such as Ortiz
3 cloves of garlic
75g/3oz grated Parmesan
Rinse the cabbage well to remove any dirt. Strip the dark fibrous leaves from their stalks and discard the stalks. Boil a large pot of well-salted water, plunge in the leaves and cook for five minutes. Remove and drain. Separate the cooked cabbage in half. Place one half in a bowl and the other in a food processor along with the butter, oil, anchovies, garlic and Parmesan and purée until smooth. Remove and spoon into the bowl, stirring well through the cooked cabbage. Serve with tagliatelle.
Life & Style blogs
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Mac OS X Yosemite download: How to get the open beta of Apple's latest operating system
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...