Tomato and cumin salad
This is a great way to liven up some fresh tomatoes with my favourite spice, cumin. I came across this recipe in The Lebanese Kitchen by Salma Hage which is full of fantastic and unusual recipes which you just don't see in Middle Eastern restaurants... well, not in London anyway.
1tsp cumin seeds
½tsp coriander seeds
3tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled, and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1tbsp grated fresh root ginger
500-600g a mix of small tomatoes, halved
3¼tbsp chopped coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dry fry the cumin and coriander seeds in a small heavy-based frying pan for a minute or so, but don't let them burn. Remove from the heat and coarsely grind in a mortar and pestle.
Heat the olive oil in the same pan and gently cook the onion, garlic and ginger on a low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring every so often.
Stir in the spices, add the tomatoes and cook on a medium heat for a couple minutes then remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and stir in the chopped coriander and season. Serve at room temperature.
Life & Style blogs
Replica cars: The 'new classics' roaring back into the lead
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: which is the best?
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 1 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Piers Morgan attempts to save the Union by promising to go back to the US if Scotland votes 'No' to independence
- 4 Tyler, The Creator says having new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
- 5 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
iJobs Food & Drink
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...