David Carter abandoned a career in fine-dining to make BBQ his business. His company, Smokestak, is now one of the highlights of the Street Feast food festival with its juicy ribs. He gives us his top tips on recreating the Taste of Texas.
Seven steps to the perfect ribs
1. It’s all in the rub - mix salt, sweet, aromatics and heat, and make sure they're well balanced.
2. Make it hot and mellow it down - chuck in onion, garlic, cumin, red chilli flakes and mustard powder for heat and a rounded, mellow taste.
3. Don’t be lazy - cover every millimetre of your ribs with your rub.
4. Crank up the heat - smoke your ribs on a fire of 275 °F.
5. A little spritzer? Add a spritz of apple juice for extra flavour.
6. Are we nearly there yet? Cook until the ribs are a dark mahogany colour and the meat is breaking away from the bone.
7. Elbows deep - tuck into your ribs as they are or add BBQ sauce, and enjoy with a bottle of Sol.
To read the full article, read David Carter’s interview here.
Now it’s your turn to impress your friends with your barbecue skills. We’ve got a stylish portable barbecue and all the tools to give away so that you can create a mouth-watering celebration.
Prize package includes:
A stylish portable barbecue (pictured)
A retro portable wireless speaker
A three-piece barbecue tool set
A £25 supermarket voucher
A 24-pack of SOL Beer
Terms & Conditions: Promotion closes at 23:59 on 26 July 2015. UK mainland only. There is one prize of a barbecue package as listed above, including a turquoise Landmann Piccolino portable barbecue. Voucher valid at Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrisons and Waitrose. The winner will be the first entry selected at random after the closing date and will be contacted by 28 July 2015. Over 18s only. The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. The promotion is open to readers of The Independent and i and readers of their sister paper The Evening Standard. Only one online entry per person. Usual promotion rules apply, see www.independent.co.uk/rules. For further information, please write to Customer Care, The Independent, Northcliffe House, 2 Derry Street, London, W8 5TT. Promoter: Heineken.