Virtually tasty: pairing wines with Thai cuisine
Wednesday 23 June 2010
On June 21 The Wine Library TV, a renowned wine vlog with host Gary Vaynerchuk, devoted a post to Thai food and wine pairings. Here are his recommendations as well as some helpful tips to select the best wine to enhance your favorite Thai dishes.
Vaynerchuk recommends this crisp white to highlight rich green curries, spicy vegetables:
2007 Loimer Gruner Veltliner Terrassen (biodynamic), Wachau White, Austria $27.98 (€22.72)
To watch his tasting notes, go to: http://tv.winelibrary.com/2010/06/21/thai-food-and-wine-pairing-episode-878
Pim Techamuanvivit, food blogger (ChezPim.com) and the author of The Foodie Handbook, agrees the go-to wines to enhance Thai dishes are sweet and floral white wines (Rieslings and Gewürztraminers) and offers these five tips to help you narrow down the search:
1. Look for a little sweetness, as it balances out the spice and hot chili.
2. Find the tropics in the nose, if the exotic scent of the Thai ingredients are in the nose of the wine, it should be complementary.
3. Tannins are a no-no with Thai dishes, and only a little oak .
4. Bubbly works to cleanse the palate and cut the fat.
5. Acidity is a good thing, but not if you lean towards sweet Thai dishes
For Chez Pim's selection of the best white, red and sparkling wine varietals and regions to pair with Thai cuisine, visit: http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2006/05/wine_and_thai_f.html
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
PTSD photo series documents what the disorder is really like – as study reveals suicides of 22 US veterans every day
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Chair-bound workers 'should move around every hour to reduce physical and mental health risks'
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...