Virtually tasty: pairing wines with Thai cuisine
On June 21 The Wine Library TV, a renowned wine vlog with host Gary Vaynerchuk, devoted a post to Thai food and wine pairings. Here are his recommendations as well as some helpful tips to select the best wine to enhance your favorite Thai dishes.
Vaynerchuk recommends this crisp white to highlight rich green curries, spicy vegetables:
2007 Loimer Gruner Veltliner Terrassen (biodynamic), Wachau White, Austria $27.98 (€22.72)
To watch his tasting notes, go to: http://tv.winelibrary.com/2010/06/21/thai-food-and-wine-pairing-episode-878
Pim Techamuanvivit, food blogger (ChezPim.com) and the author of The Foodie Handbook, agrees the go-to wines to enhance Thai dishes are sweet and floral white wines (Rieslings and Gewürztraminers) and offers these five tips to help you narrow down the search:
1. Look for a little sweetness, as it balances out the spice and hot chili.
2. Find the tropics in the nose, if the exotic scent of the Thai ingredients are in the nose of the wine, it should be complementary.
3. Tannins are a no-no with Thai dishes, and only a little oak .
4. Bubbly works to cleanse the palate and cut the fat.
5. Acidity is a good thing, but not if you lean towards sweet Thai dishes
For Chez Pim's selection of the best white, red and sparkling wine varietals and regions to pair with Thai cuisine, visit: http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2006/05/wine_and_thai_f.html
Life & Style blogs
Plus live in a folly tower and Towcester growth
Plus how much you need to earn to rent in London, and new homes figures
Plus where The Apprentices live, house price growth outside London, and househunter numbers
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Food & Drink
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...