Virtually tasty: pairing wines with Thai cuisine
Wednesday 23 June 2010
On June 21 The Wine Library TV, a renowned wine vlog with host Gary Vaynerchuk, devoted a post to Thai food and wine pairings. Here are his recommendations as well as some helpful tips to select the best wine to enhance your favorite Thai dishes.
Vaynerchuk recommends this crisp white to highlight rich green curries, spicy vegetables:
2007 Loimer Gruner Veltliner Terrassen (biodynamic), Wachau White, Austria $27.98 (€22.72)
To watch his tasting notes, go to: http://tv.winelibrary.com/2010/06/21/thai-food-and-wine-pairing-episode-878
Pim Techamuanvivit, food blogger (ChezPim.com) and the author of The Foodie Handbook, agrees the go-to wines to enhance Thai dishes are sweet and floral white wines (Rieslings and Gewürztraminers) and offers these five tips to help you narrow down the search:
1. Look for a little sweetness, as it balances out the spice and hot chili.
2. Find the tropics in the nose, if the exotic scent of the Thai ingredients are in the nose of the wine, it should be complementary.
3. Tannins are a no-no with Thai dishes, and only a little oak .
4. Bubbly works to cleanse the palate and cut the fat.
5. Acidity is a good thing, but not if you lean towards sweet Thai dishes
For Chez Pim's selection of the best white, red and sparkling wine varietals and regions to pair with Thai cuisine, visit: http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2006/05/wine_and_thai_f.html
Life & Style blogs
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
When is a wine made in Piedmont not a Piemonte wine? When EU rules make Italian vineyards invisible
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...