Watch Angelina Jolie: 'My boys love to eat crickets'
Friday 22 July 2011
News that Angelina Jolie and her brood like to tuck into crickets and beetles for a family snack has gone viral with coverage that spans gossip magazines, news outlets like CNN, and international publications.
In a video ad campaign for Louis Vuitton, Jolie spoke about how much her boys Pax, 7, and Maddox, 9 - both adopted from Cambodia - eat crickets "like Doritos."
The culinary adventure was Jolie's attempt at bringing her boys closer to their own culture, she said, and to develop an appreciation for their heritage including their own gastronomy.
"My boys love to eat crickets, it's their favorite thing," she said. "And they ate them like Doritos, they wouldn't stop."
In Cambodia and other Asian countries, insects like crickets and beetles are common snack foods.
"They're good, they are like a potato chip," she said.
So hooked were the boys that Jolie said she had to put the kibosh on the insect chips out of fear the boys would get sick.
Her own repertoire of insects, however, stops at spider soup and tarantulas on a stick.
"I don't know if I can get over the fur, but you've got to try everything."
Since the story first broke this week, bloggers, gossips magazines and mainstream news outlets like CNN and The Australian Age have covered the story as ‘breaking news.'
Watch her Louis Vuitton interview at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX2OKv2TCtI&playnext=1&list=PL72C577B6B3EF9AEF. Her cricket eating habits start at the 6:05 mark.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...