Trending: I am not a wi-fi hotspot, I am a free man
The talk of the annual South by Southwest Interactive Conference in Austin, Texas, at the weekend (where the interactive and film components of the Texan festival are well underway) was not a new tech start up or keynote speech by some internet entrepreneur, but rather 13 homeless men.
All wearing T-shirts emblazoned with "I'm a 4G Hotspot", the men had been hired by New York marketing firm Bartle Bogle Hegarty to carry a wireless-internet device and provide web access to conference-goers for a small fee (which the homeless men would get to keep).
The backlash was instant, with The New York Times calling the project "a little dystopian". Bartle Bogle Hegarty says it wanted to reinvent the newspaper model of helping the homeless, through ventures such as The Big Issue, which is well-intentioned enough.
But there's still something a little eerie about using homeless people as infrastructure.
Life & Style blogs
Plus London's buy-to-let hotspots and a new property portal
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.