XCOM: Enemy Unknown to invade stores this October
Release date and pre-order packages confirmed.
Michael Plant is chief editor and writer of gaming ezine and blog GamesCatalyst.com, as well as editor of 'The Independent'’s games review printed in the Saturday supplement 'Information'. Established in February 2011, Games Catalyst endeavours to bring its unique brand of fact and satire to the videogaming community and, in tandem with 'The Independent', hopefully turn a few non-believers on to gaming while we’re at it.
Wednesday 23 May 2012
2K Games announced today that Firaxis Games’ XCOM: Enemy Unknown will release on 12 October 2012 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
Originally released in 1993, the original X-COM is regarded as a classic of the strategy genre and has been reimagined as XCOM: Enemy Unknown by the developer. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on the X-COM legacy with an entirely new story, enemies and technologies to fight hostile aliens and defend Earth as players oversee combat strategies and individual unit tactics, as well as managing bases and resources allocation as commander of secret global military organization, XCOM.
‘XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the answer to the 15-year craving that fans have been experiencing,’ said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. ‘We wanted to find a special way to honor these die-hard fans, and the special edition and Elite Soldier Pack are just the way to do it.’
Fans that pre-order the game will receive the launch bonus “Elite Soldier Pack” which includes further options for soldier customisation including:
- Classic X-COM Soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return in his full glory, modernized with the rest of the X-COM universe.
- Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
- Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.
Life & Style blogs
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
BBC journalist Justin Webb talks about his experiences of the advances in preventing heart attacks a...
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Meet David Karp, the 26-year-old high school dropout worth $275m after selling Tumblr to Yahoo
Game on: Xbox 720 and PS4 go head to head with Microsoft set to launch console today
'The ultimate all-in-one home entertainment system': Microsoft finally unveils its Xbox ONE console
Virtually Stephen Fry: Star launches (possibly) the world's most self-regarding app
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...