XCOM: Enemy Unknown to invade stores this October
Release date and pre-order packages confirmed.
Michael Plant is chief editor and writer of gaming ezine and blog GamesCatalyst.com, as well as editor of 'The Independent'’s games review printed in the Saturday supplement 'Information'. Established in February 2011, Games Catalyst endeavours to bring its unique brand of fact and satire to the videogaming community and, in tandem with 'The Independent', hopefully turn a few non-believers on to gaming while we’re at it.
Wednesday 23 May 2012
2K Games announced today that Firaxis Games’ XCOM: Enemy Unknown will release on 12 October 2012 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
Originally released in 1993, the original X-COM is regarded as a classic of the strategy genre and has been reimagined as XCOM: Enemy Unknown by the developer. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on the X-COM legacy with an entirely new story, enemies and technologies to fight hostile aliens and defend Earth as players oversee combat strategies and individual unit tactics, as well as managing bases and resources allocation as commander of secret global military organization, XCOM.
‘XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the answer to the 15-year craving that fans have been experiencing,’ said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. ‘We wanted to find a special way to honor these die-hard fans, and the special edition and Elite Soldier Pack are just the way to do it.’
Fans that pre-order the game will receive the launch bonus “Elite Soldier Pack” which includes further options for soldier customisation including:
- Classic X-COM Soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return in his full glory, modernized with the rest of the X-COM universe.
- Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
- Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Ukip's official health spokesperson: 'Honestly, I have no experience in health whatsoever'
'Cigarettes, whisky, and wild, wild women'
Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
Doctors to trial 29-point checklist for elderly patients facing 'unavoidable' death
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 Mother of newborn Baby No 59 trapped in sewer pipe told Chinese police she 'heard crying' when she raised alarm
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Junior Test Analyst/Systems Administ...
£40000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Global Real Estate Software P...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity for a talented...
£17000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to continuing growth, recru...