XCOM: Enemy Unknown to invade stores this October
Release date and pre-order packages confirmed.
Michael Plant is chief editor and writer of gaming ezine and blog GamesCatalyst.com, as well as editor of 'The Independent'’s games review printed in the Saturday supplement 'Information'. Established in February 2011, Games Catalyst endeavours to bring its unique brand of fact and satire to the videogaming community and, in tandem with 'The Independent', hopefully turn a few non-believers on to gaming while we’re at it.
Wednesday 23 May 2012
2K Games announced today that Firaxis Games’ XCOM: Enemy Unknown will release on 12 October 2012 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
Originally released in 1993, the original X-COM is regarded as a classic of the strategy genre and has been reimagined as XCOM: Enemy Unknown by the developer. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on the X-COM legacy with an entirely new story, enemies and technologies to fight hostile aliens and defend Earth as players oversee combat strategies and individual unit tactics, as well as managing bases and resources allocation as commander of secret global military organization, XCOM.
‘XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the answer to the 15-year craving that fans have been experiencing,’ said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. ‘We wanted to find a special way to honor these die-hard fans, and the special edition and Elite Soldier Pack are just the way to do it.’
Fans that pre-order the game will receive the launch bonus “Elite Soldier Pack” which includes further options for soldier customisation including:
- Classic X-COM Soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return in his full glory, modernized with the rest of the X-COM universe.
- Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
- Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's but is told homeless people cannot be served under 'new policy'
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Art Garfunkel calls Paul Simon a 'monster' with a Napoleon complex
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Graduate UI Application Developer - ...