Google alerts users to tsunami risk after Japan quake
Friday 11 March 2011
Internet search giant Google is warning users on its search page about the tsunami danger across the Pacific following the earthquake off the coast of Japan.
Google has in the past set up a crisis response service following quakes in New Zealand and Chile but so far has apparently begun its response with an alert underneath the search bar of its main www.google.com page.
"Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan," the alert reads.
After last month's devastating New Zealand earthquake, information quickly flowed out from Christchurch to sites such as Google's Crisis Response service where people can add or request information on individuals.
The site's person finder tool soon notched up records on thousands of people, some missing, others found alive and well.
As of 0930 GMT, there was apparently no crisis response service for the Japan quake.
Life & Style blogs
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£26000 - £33000 per annum + benefits and bonus: Ashdown Group: PHP Developer (...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Junior Software Developer is ...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: PHP Web Developer - PHP MySQL JQuery HTML CSS...
£250 per day: Langley James : Network Engineer, NHS, CCNA, CCNP, West London £...