Most followed microbloggers: Ellen DeGeneres hits 6 million followers milestone
Tuesday 01 March 2011
The most popular people on social networking sites Twitter and Weibo recorded on February 28.
TV chat show host Ellen DeGeneres soared past the milestone of 6 million Twitter followers this week, joining Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Barack Obama, Kim Kardashian, Ashton Kutcher and Yao Chen as the only microbloggers to have more than 6 million followers to their name.
Chinese actress and singer Dee Hsu (more commonly known by her stage name, Xiao S), is quickly approaching the 6 million followers mark too. Hsu attracted more than 168,000 fans this week, putting her ahead of country singer Taylor Swift, who currently has just over 5.4 million fans.
In June 2010, Twitter was estimated to have 190 million visitors per month, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 80 million registered users in January 2011.
Interesting fact: While Twitter users generally are free to speak their mind, Sina users usually steer away from tweeting comments that are political in nature for fear of having them censored and removed by Sina - a processes that reportedly occurs frequently on the microblogging platform without any explanation.
Most popular people on Twitter according to Listorious:
- Lady Gaga (8,466,508 followers)
- Justin Bieber - (7,696,255)
- Britney Spears - (6,981,416)
- Barack Obama - (6,784,422)
- Kim Kardashian - (6,498,603)
- Ashton Kutcher - (6,383,546)
- Ellen DeGeneres - (6,014,661)
- Katy Perry - (5,975,188)
- Taylor Swift - (5,438,609)
- Oprah Winfrey - (5,196,744)
Most popular people on Sina's Microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (6,356,759 followers)
- Xi?o S (5,474,786)
- Zhao Wei (5,302,000)
- Cai Kang Yong (4,855,873)
- Xiena (4,578,533)
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
As Kellie Maloney has experienced, when you're transgender, strangers think it's OK to ask intimate questions – it's not
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, Training & Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# S...
£250 per day: Orgtel: Network Engineer (CCNP), Cisco Gold Partner, Farnborough...
£250 - £300 per day: Orgtel: Senior Network Integration/Test Engineer Berkshir...
£30000 - £37000 per annum + attractive benefits: Ashdown Group: .NET Developer...