Most followed microbloggers: Ellen DeGeneres hits 6 million followers milestone
Tuesday 01 March 2011
The most popular people on social networking sites Twitter and Weibo recorded on February 28.
TV chat show host Ellen DeGeneres soared past the milestone of 6 million Twitter followers this week, joining Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Barack Obama, Kim Kardashian, Ashton Kutcher and Yao Chen as the only microbloggers to have more than 6 million followers to their name.
Chinese actress and singer Dee Hsu (more commonly known by her stage name, Xiao S), is quickly approaching the 6 million followers mark too. Hsu attracted more than 168,000 fans this week, putting her ahead of country singer Taylor Swift, who currently has just over 5.4 million fans.
In June 2010, Twitter was estimated to have 190 million visitors per month, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 80 million registered users in January 2011.
Interesting fact: While Twitter users generally are free to speak their mind, Sina users usually steer away from tweeting comments that are political in nature for fear of having them censored and removed by Sina - a processes that reportedly occurs frequently on the microblogging platform without any explanation.
Most popular people on Twitter according to Listorious:
- Lady Gaga (8,466,508 followers)
- Justin Bieber - (7,696,255)
- Britney Spears - (6,981,416)
- Barack Obama - (6,784,422)
- Kim Kardashian - (6,498,603)
- Ashton Kutcher - (6,383,546)
- Ellen DeGeneres - (6,014,661)
- Katy Perry - (5,975,188)
- Taylor Swift - (5,438,609)
- Oprah Winfrey - (5,196,744)
Most popular people on Sina's Microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (6,356,759 followers)
- Xi?o S (5,474,786)
- Zhao Wei (5,302,000)
- Cai Kang Yong (4,855,873)
- Xiena (4,578,533)
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
The onesie is so last year... meet the Sleepwalker
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
General Election 2015: Polish prince challenges Nigel Farage to a duel over immigration question
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£30000 - £36000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: C# Developer A highly s...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A market leading software...