Annual college sports title NCAA Football 12 was the USA's best-selling video game in July, followed by Cars 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops.
NCAA Football 12 was one of just a few major releases for the month, and the only one to make the NPD Group's top ten, with nearly 800,000 copies sold.
No room for even world famous Harry Potter, whose Deathly Hallows - Part 2 had hit cinema screens and video game retailers.
Uncertainty over a real-world NFL dispute may have contributed to NCAA's success, as Madden NFL 12's late-August release was not made certain until late in the month.
Zumba Fitness is a little way off replicating its UK successes where, as of August 8, it has been number one for eight weeks.
Just Dance 2 remains a steady seller, first released October 2010, but the award for oldest top ten title goes to New Super Mario Bros, which first graced North American store shelves on May 15, 2006.
Both are made for just one gaming machine - Nintendo's Wii and DS respectively - whereas all other chart entries result from sales across multiple platforms.
Top 10 Games in the USA, July (New Physical Retail only)
1. NCAA Football 12 (360, PS3)
2. Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
5. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
6. Major League Baseball 2K11 (360, Wii, NDS, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC)
7. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3)
8. Fallout: New Vegas (360, PS3, PC)
9. New Super Mario Bros DS (NDS)
10. Mortal Kombat 2011 (360, PS3)