Cloak: The 'antisocial network' that helps you avoid people
App could signal the end of the 'stop and chat'
Mark Zuckerberg recently said that in Facebook's second decade he hopes to connect the two-thirds of the world's population that doesn't yet have access to the internet, but a new app is busy trying to disconnect the third that does.
Billed as 'incognito mode for real life', Cloak allows users to geo-locate their contacts so that they can more easily avoid them.
A backlash to the ubiquity of social media, the app makes use of all the various tagging data, be it Foursquare check-ins, Tinder swipes, tweets or Facebook and Instagram posts.
Here's what it offers:
- A map of your contacts by most recent check-ins
- A list of them by distance
- A search function to help you find particular avoidables (be they exes or irksome colleagues)
- Alerts that tell you when they're within a preset radius of your location Not Jared Cohen! (Picture: Cloak)
Coming from the makers of Hate With Friends, which allows you and a Facebook friend to discover whether you mutually dislike each other, Cloak is clearly a little tongue-in-cheek, but as concerns of the over-saturation of social media and privacy issues grow, don't be surprised if there are more subtle versions of these services on the way.
"Personally, I think we’ve seen the crest of the big social network," creator Chris Baker told the Washington Post. "Things like Twitter and Facebook are packed elevators where we’re all crammed in together … I think anti-social stuff is on the rise. You’ll be seeing more and more of these types of projects."
Life & Style blogs
What is Lyme disease, what are the symptoms and is treatment readily available?
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
- 1 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 2 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Alwaleed bin Talal: Saudi Prince to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to join a medium s...
£8000 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity ...
£17500 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity is now ...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you familiar with the sayin...