Cloak: The 'antisocial network' that helps you avoid people
App could signal the end of the 'stop and chat'
Mark Zuckerberg recently said that in Facebook's second decade he hopes to connect the two-thirds of the world's population that doesn't yet have access to the internet, but a new app is busy trying to disconnect the third that does.
Billed as 'incognito mode for real life', Cloak allows users to geo-locate their contacts so that they can more easily avoid them.
A backlash to the ubiquity of social media, the app makes use of all the various tagging data, be it Foursquare check-ins, Tinder swipes, tweets or Facebook and Instagram posts.
Here's what it offers:
- A map of your contacts by most recent check-ins
- A list of them by distance
- A search function to help you find particular avoidables (be they exes or irksome colleagues)
- Alerts that tell you when they're within a preset radius of your location Not Jared Cohen! (Picture: Cloak)
Coming from the makers of Hate With Friends, which allows you and a Facebook friend to discover whether you mutually dislike each other, Cloak is clearly a little tongue-in-cheek, but as concerns of the over-saturation of social media and privacy issues grow, don't be surprised if there are more subtle versions of these services on the way.
"Personally, I think we’ve seen the crest of the big social network," creator Chris Baker told the Washington Post. "Things like Twitter and Facebook are packed elevators where we’re all crammed in together … I think anti-social stuff is on the rise. You’ll be seeing more and more of these types of projects."
Life & Style blogs
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No new blood and no fresh ideas at Milan Fashion Week: How do you solve a problem like Milano?
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
- 1 Rihanna 'nude photos' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how Twitter reacted
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£60000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Reigate...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum + excellent benefits package: Clearwater People Solu...
£30000 - £38500 Per Annum + 25 days holiday, pension, subsidised restaurant: C...
£38000 - £45000 Per Annum + excellent benefits package: Clearwater People Solu...