iPhone 6 release date: What can we glean from Apple's cryptic invite?
Two new iPhones and possibly an iWatch are expected on 9 September
What is almost certainly the iPhone 6 launch was confirmed yesterday as invites went out to press teasing an announcement on 9 September 2014.
The email invite was pretty blank, offering only the date and the words 'Wish we could say more', but this won't stop the internet from trying to unearth hidden messages about what will be launched.
- Is the embellishment at the top in fact a sine wave representing an emphasis on health (something expected to be a major part of the rumoured iWatch)?
- Is it a finger tapping a button, referencing the fingerprint scanner and a sense of identity?
- Is it a bird, a heavy-handed metaphor for swooping over the competition or else a signal that the iPhone 6 will double as a drone that can aerial photograph terrain with effects filters called things like Heritage Blaze, Baroque Swag and Knowing Owl?
- Has the '9.9' been chosen because it is two sixes upside down, a nod to the expected two different-sized iPhones?
- 'Say more'. Siri, is that you?
- WISH SOUNDS A BIT LIKE WATCH
- Does the white background mean the iPhone 6 will die in season 5?
The invite might be pretty opaque, but there are tons of rumours for specs out there, the ones recurring most often being the introduction of a sapphire display, a 13 megapixel camera and 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sized devices.
It is on the software side of things where the biggest improvements will come though, with Apple promising that iOS 8 will provide the most 'natural experience' yet and finally make using iCloud second nature.
Life & Style blogs
Childcare 'not just a women's issue,' says shadow minister as she sets out her 'dadifesto'
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
The 10 Best juicers
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
The 10 Best food processors
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a Web Developer looking...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Moodle Developer (PHP ,Linux, Apache...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£21000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Award-winning pharma softw...