Motorola and Microsoft in deal to put Bing on phones
Thursday 11 March 2010
Motorola has reached a deal with Microsoft Corp that will put Bing search and mapping services on its phones that use Google's Android operating system.
Motorola said the partnership with Microsoft means that a Bing bookmark and search widget will be loaded on cell phones, starting in the coming weeks with phones in China.
The move follows shortly after Motorola struck a similar deal to let consumers in China use Baidu Inc, among others, as the default Web search instead of Google on Android based phones.
The partnerships come against a backdrop of Google's dispute with China over censorship, which, if it leads to Google withdrawing from the country, could cause big headaches for Motorola.
That's because Motorola is banking on its ties to Google's Android and its sales in China to help in a big turnaround effort. Having search alternatives on the Android phones should lessen Motorola's dependence on Google, in China or elsewhere, analysts have said.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£35000 - £42000 per annum + excellent company benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group:...
£25000 - £28000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: 2nd Line Support T...
£25000 - £28000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Email Campaign Exe...
£450 - £500 Per Day Flexible: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: EC1N 400-500/da...