Russian businessman tries to trademark ;-)
Monday 15 December 2008
A Russian news agency says patent authorities deny a businessman's claim that he has trademarked a symbol used widely in email, text and instant messages.
Oleg Teterin said he had been granted a trademark for ;-) a grouping of punctuation marks that denotes a smiling wink when looked at sideways.
He said he expected corporations to pay thousands of dollars for a license to use the symbol.
The Rospatent federal patent agency tells the RIA-Novosti news agency that the symbol was trademarked only as part of the company's brand and has not been trademarked on its own.
Neither Teterin nor patent officials could be reached for comment.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£450 - £500 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: Broadcast Systems Architect - Fi...
£18000 - £20000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: IT Project Adminis...
£40,000-£43,000: Cornwallis Elt : Project Manager- Cloud and SaaS, London T...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...