Top 10 YouTube gaming videos of the week: 'StarCraft II,' 'The Sims 3,' and Capcom
Thursday 29 July 2010
The July 27 launch of
StarCraft II dominated YouTube's gaming video chart on Thursday, July 29, as the extended trailer reached almost 4 million views in just over a week.
The original StarCraft was released in 1998 and a devoted following kept it alive in the 12 years since while developers Blizzard concentrated on maintaining and expanding World of Warcraft.
Strategy title StarCraft II contrasts with World of Warcraft's role-playing fantasy - instead of controlling one character and teaming up with other players, the sci-fi StarCraft series puts players in charge of creating and commanding entire armies as fictitious future races battle for resources.
The Sims is another of the world's most popular PC franchises, and The Sims 3 has not been shy in rolling out expansion packs for the main game, with Late Night the most recently announced and due for a late October release.
The caricatured behavior of the game's inhabitants is then parodied by College Humor, who take a look at a medical emergency presided over by a "Sim Doctor."
According to YouTube's metrics, the Late Night trailer was most popular with men between 13 and 17 years of age, and women between 13 and 24. By contrast, Halo Reach's newest video, showing off the game's huge map editor, attracted males between 13 and 34.
Elsewhere, Capcom's announcements at the San Diego Comic-Con between July 22-25 have an impact as new trailers for the Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken crossovers appear in fourth and fifth place respectively.
College Humor pops up with a review of the iPad's gaming capacity, taking a glance at Uno, Wikihunt, Labyrinth 2, Ocean Blue, Scrabble and Bruce Lee; a countdown of beautiful women who play video games is split over two videos; and new channel The Game Station announces its intentions to become "the ESPN of internet gaming" - though they'll have to get past Machinima Respawn first.
1) StarCraft II - Ghosts of the Past - 3,887,793 total views
2) The Sims 3 Late Night Trailer - 479,322 total views
3) Halo: Reach ViDoc - Forge World - 491,105 total views
4) Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Comic-Con Character Reveals! - 347,384 total views
5) Street Fighter X Tekken Debut Trailer - 539,451 total views
6) Doctor Sim - 292,689 total views
7) 9 Hottest Girls who Play Videogames - 272,247 total views
8) Top 9 Hottest Gamer Girls EVAR - PART 2 - 277,991 total views
9) The Game Station Announcement!! - 405,651 total views
10) Bleep Bloop: iPad Games - 250,447 total views
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
The 10 Best food processors
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Moodle Developer (PHP ,Linux, Apache...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£21000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Award-winning pharma softw...
£30000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Java Developer is requ...