Top 10 YouTube gaming videos of the week: 'StarCraft II,' 'The Sims 3,' and Capcom
Thursday 29 July 2010
The July 27 launch of
StarCraft II dominated YouTube's gaming video chart on Thursday, July 29, as the extended trailer reached almost 4 million views in just over a week.
The original StarCraft was released in 1998 and a devoted following kept it alive in the 12 years since while developers Blizzard concentrated on maintaining and expanding World of Warcraft.
Strategy title StarCraft II contrasts with World of Warcraft's role-playing fantasy - instead of controlling one character and teaming up with other players, the sci-fi StarCraft series puts players in charge of creating and commanding entire armies as fictitious future races battle for resources.
The Sims is another of the world's most popular PC franchises, and The Sims 3 has not been shy in rolling out expansion packs for the main game, with Late Night the most recently announced and due for a late October release.
The caricatured behavior of the game's inhabitants is then parodied by College Humor, who take a look at a medical emergency presided over by a "Sim Doctor."
According to YouTube's metrics, the Late Night trailer was most popular with men between 13 and 17 years of age, and women between 13 and 24. By contrast, Halo Reach's newest video, showing off the game's huge map editor, attracted males between 13 and 34.
Elsewhere, Capcom's announcements at the San Diego Comic-Con between July 22-25 have an impact as new trailers for the Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken crossovers appear in fourth and fifth place respectively.
College Humor pops up with a review of the iPad's gaming capacity, taking a glance at Uno, Wikihunt, Labyrinth 2, Ocean Blue, Scrabble and Bruce Lee; a countdown of beautiful women who play video games is split over two videos; and new channel The Game Station announces its intentions to become "the ESPN of internet gaming" - though they'll have to get past Machinima Respawn first.
1) StarCraft II - Ghosts of the Past - 3,887,793 total views
2) The Sims 3 Late Night Trailer - 479,322 total views
3) Halo: Reach ViDoc - Forge World - 491,105 total views
4) Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Comic-Con Character Reveals! - 347,384 total views
5) Street Fighter X Tekken Debut Trailer - 539,451 total views
6) Doctor Sim - 292,689 total views
7) 9 Hottest Girls who Play Videogames - 272,247 total views
8) Top 9 Hottest Gamer Girls EVAR - PART 2 - 277,991 total views
9) The Game Station Announcement!! - 405,651 total views
10) Bleep Bloop: iPad Games - 250,447 total views
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
Stevia wonder: The plant that's a super sugar alternative – and free from calories and carbs
International Women's Day 2014: Google makes 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world for animated Doodle
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£1000 per month: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a start-up mobile app develo...
£6.31 per hour: Inspiring Interns: This growing predictive analytical software...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# ASP.NET Deve...