No new entries in the Japanese video game chart for May 3-9, as interest remains high in last week's most significant new entries: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 on DS, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on PSP, and Super Street Fighter IV on PS3.
On May 7, Nintendo of Japan's President, Satoru Iwata, gave a financial presentation in which he underlined the importance of games that have a long shelf life.
The games in this week's chart positions of 3 through to 6 exemplify that approach. All four are Nintendo titles, and only New Super Mario Bros. Wii was released in the last six months (Dec 2009).
Friend Collection was out in June 2009, Wii Fit Plus in October 2009, and Mario Kart Wii in April 2008. Wii Sports Resort in 9th was put to market in June of 2009.
All the other games in the top 10 were released in March, April, or May of 2010.
Hovering just outside the top 10 are New Super Mario Bros for the DS, which first saw the light of day in 2006, and Mario Kart DS from 2005 is not too far away either.
01) Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS): 252,862 this week (876,505 total sales)
02) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP): 140,591 (574,957)
03) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii): 46,690 (3,806,779)
04) Friend Collection (DS): 33,342 (3,190,794)
05) Mario Kart Wii (Wii): 32,340 (2,771,000)
06) Wii Fit Plus (Wii): 23,314 (1,890,761)
07) Super Street Fighter 4 (PS3): 20,084 (101,147)
08) Pokemon Ranger: Paths of Light (DS): 20,007 (446,000)
09) Wii Sports Resort (Wii): 15,902 (1,886,000)
10) NieR Replicant (PS3): 15,858 (96,921)
Unit sales are rounded to the nearest 1,000.
Source: Media Create.