Gift Guide: For the foodie
Sunday 26 November 2006
1. A set of Global knives This is a wonderful present for a keen cook. Global makes safe, strong and dependable knives that stay sharp for a long time. From £59.95, Divertimenti, tel: 020 7581 8065,
2. KitchenAid mixer A great gift for someone who is young and interested in cooking. It's pricey, but this mixer will last for years. Useful for cakes, breads, mayonnaises and purées. £349, Divertimenti, tel: 020 7581 8065, www.divertimenti.co.uk
3. Valentini olive oil This fantastic oil from Frioli goes very well with winter greens such as sprouting broccoli. It also livens up a plain bread - try it lightly grilled and rubbed with garlic. £16.45 for 750ml, Les Caves de Pyrene, tel: 01483 554 750
4. Smythson bound cooking notebook It's very posh, but it's worth investing in something you like looking at. Every chef l know keeps their own personal book of recipes and tips from other cooks. £145, tel: 08705 211 311, www.smythson.com
5. Marble mortar and pestle A heavy marble pestle and mortar is an invaluable kitchen tool for pounding nuts or garlic, or making rustic sauces such as tarrator, pesto, salmoriglio or romesco. £49.95, Divertimenti, tel: 020 7581 8065, www.divertimenti.co.uk
6. 'Saha: A Chef's Journey Through Lebanon and Syria' Greg and Lucy Malouf's book on Middle Eastern cooking is the most exceptional book that l have seen this year. £15, www.amazon.co.uk
7. 'Slow Food' membership The Slow Food organisation costs little to join but the rewards are plenty: a quarterly magazine plus details of Slow Food events here and abroad. £25, www.slowfood.com
Skye Gyngell is 'The Sunday Review' food writer and chef at Petersham Nurseries
Life & Style blogs
Is it the end of the road for three-point turn in driving test?
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 School playground evacuated over 'unusually aggressive' grey squirrel
- 2 Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke beats opponent 33 years his junior in exhibition boxing match
- 3 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 4 Today was a bad day for renters, landlords, and democracy
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
£30k - 38k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: An award-winning consume...
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...