Gift Guide: For the foodie
Sunday 26 November 2006
1. A set of Global knives This is a wonderful present for a keen cook. Global makes safe, strong and dependable knives that stay sharp for a long time. From £59.95, Divertimenti, tel: 020 7581 8065,
2. KitchenAid mixer A great gift for someone who is young and interested in cooking. It's pricey, but this mixer will last for years. Useful for cakes, breads, mayonnaises and purées. £349, Divertimenti, tel: 020 7581 8065, www.divertimenti.co.uk
3. Valentini olive oil This fantastic oil from Frioli goes very well with winter greens such as sprouting broccoli. It also livens up a plain bread - try it lightly grilled and rubbed with garlic. £16.45 for 750ml, Les Caves de Pyrene, tel: 01483 554 750
4. Smythson bound cooking notebook It's very posh, but it's worth investing in something you like looking at. Every chef l know keeps their own personal book of recipes and tips from other cooks. £145, tel: 08705 211 311, www.smythson.com
5. Marble mortar and pestle A heavy marble pestle and mortar is an invaluable kitchen tool for pounding nuts or garlic, or making rustic sauces such as tarrator, pesto, salmoriglio or romesco. £49.95, Divertimenti, tel: 020 7581 8065, www.divertimenti.co.uk
6. 'Saha: A Chef's Journey Through Lebanon and Syria' Greg and Lucy Malouf's book on Middle Eastern cooking is the most exceptional book that l have seen this year. £15, www.amazon.co.uk
7. 'Slow Food' membership The Slow Food organisation costs little to join but the rewards are plenty: a quarterly magazine plus details of Slow Food events here and abroad. £25, www.slowfood.com
Skye Gyngell is 'The Sunday Review' food writer and chef at Petersham Nurseries
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
Inside A&E: The highs, the lows, and the grief is something that echoes across all hospitals around the world
Rita Ora reveals all – from her 24 tattoos to what she likes to wear when no-one's looking
American Apparel’s model agency leaked casting call saying it wants ‘real models’ not ‘Instagram hoes’
Masterpieces of Fashion Photography exhibition showcases previously unreleased images by legendary photographers like Horst
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...